Connecting people and places with learning can leave a lasting impression on students. These experiences can fuel their passion to explore the larger world. It’s easy to extend learning beyond your classroom when you leverage the right tools.
In this unit we’ll explore how to expose your students to faraway places, people, and things without actually leaving your school. We will provide you with ideas on how to use different Google tools to create a classroom without borders.
In this unit, you’ll learn:
- How you can open your classroom with Google Hangouts and Hangouts On Air
- Best practices to make your Hangouts successful
- How to use Google Maps to take virtual field trips
- What the Google Cultural Institute is and how to use it in class
- How you can set up a virtual world in Google Earth to enhance instruction
- What Google Lit Trips are and how you can use them to inspire your students
If you already know this material, feel free to skip to the Unit Review at the end.
Throughout this unit, we’ll be using these products. You don’t have to master them, but if you’ve never used them before, take a moment to get familiar with them. For help, click the icons below.
Throughout this unit, we’ll ask you to do tasks that require the following skills. Don’t worry; we’ll show you where to learn each skill here AND again in each lesson.